Monday 23 January 2017

Teesdale horse lover who has joined a growing band of animal minders

Dogs. They’re all around us in Teesdale and that has helped contribute to an upsurge in people providing animal minding services. Reporter Stuart Laundy spoke to one, who is never happier than when she’s going walkies


IT’S fair to say animals play a big part in Donna Hawcroft’s life.
As well as husband Matthew, children Jayden, 11, and seven-year-old Alyssa, the Hawcroft household in Barnard Castle is home to Jess, an 11-year-old Lab, Missy the cat and three guinea pigs.
It is also the base for Hawcroft Animal Minding, the business Donna set up after a spell working at Animate, the Eggleston-based boarding service run by double Teesdale Business Awards winner Leanne Dawson.
Animal minding is a different ball game to pet sitting, as Ms Hawcroft points out.
She does not take pets into her home but visits her clients, carrying out whatever tasks are required.
And it’s not just cats and dogs.
“I am not fussy – you name it, I will look after it. As long as I know what it needs, I am happy to look after it,” she says.
On one occasion, that has even included a bearded dragon.
“However the customer wants their pet looking after, that’s how it will be done.”
Ms Hawcroft is one of a growing band of animal minders, happy to step in when pet owners are out all day, making sure they are walked and fed, or simply just to keep an eye on them.
“There are at least five of us in this area that I know of and there seems to be plenty of work for us,” she says.
As well as covering the town, she gets out to Copley, Woodland and Butterknowle.
“I have good fun walking the dogs. I have some every day, some twice a week and some just as and when,” says Ms Hawcroft.
“I like taking the dogs out a few at a time. They enjoy it and learn more as well.”
It’s not all plain sailing though.
“There is one cat that I still look after that had to be given her tablets. She used to savage me. I never thought a cat would be the most challenging.
“Now, me and the cat, we have an understanding.”
If cats, dogs and other small pets are the bread and butter of the business, horses are Ms Hawcroft’s passion.
She doesn’t come from a “horsey” background but has been involved with them since her teenage days in her native Dumfries.
“I did always just love horses. When I was a teenager, I went to yards to help mucking out in exchange for riding. It was the only way I could do it as I did not come from a family with a background in horses.”
She started out volunteering with show ponies before helping out at racing trainer Lenny Lungo’s yard.
Ms Hawcroft then headed south, taking up a position at trainer Zoe Davison’s East Grinstead yard, later moving on to work with the Bicester and Whaddon Hunt.
She arrived in Teesdale in 2000 to work at Eastwood Hall.
Ms Hawcroft said: “I loved that job. I did everything – riding out hunters, working on fitness for horses from Alan Swinbank’s yard, breeding horses for flat racing.”
Ms Hawcroft continues to carry out some work with horses as part of her business – and it is something she is keen to expand.
“I have fun with the dogs, but horses are where my heart is and I would really like to develop that side of things.”
Other plans for the future include training in animal first aid and developing skills with livestock.
“I can look after cattle and sheep, but I would like to learn more about lambing and more on the agricultural side. There were sheep at Eastwood Hall and I assisted with lambing but that was all.”
And with that, it’s time to collect border terriers Stix and Stones for their walk through Flatts Wood.
Donna Hawcroft can be contacted on 07972 342121.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.