Tuesday 10 January 2017

All change as Antonio takes charge at Barnard Castle's Vivo pizzeria

FLAVOURS of Sardinia have heralded change at a Teesdale restaurant.
New manager Antonio Costantino and his wife, Anna, have taken over Vivo Pizzeria, in Barnard Castle.
The Newgate eatery came under new management last month when Mr Costantino moved down town from Il Palazzo, on Galgate.
The Sardinia-born chef said he would call on classical Mediterranean cuisine and his 30 years of experience across to make Vivo a success.
He said: “I was manager at Il Palazzo – I wanted to go into a small business and took the opportunity.
“I like to express myself this way – for me to come here and produce this kind of food is a pleasure.
“This place is accessible to everybody – not just selected customers. It’s a beautiful restaurant up the road but I thought Barnard Castle needed this kind of place.”
The site on Newgate was a car showroom in a former life before public funds from Barnard Castle Vision saw the building converted into “The Nest” – an art gallery, office space and cafe rolled into one.
When the Nest closed a year ago, manager Thomas Magnay stepped in and opened Vivo Pizzeria in April. Mr Magnay has now passed on the baton to Mr Costantino.
“It’s all done and worked out,” said Mr Costantino.
“Thomas is a wonderful person and I thank him for this opportunity – we’ve been open for a few weeks and it’s been pretty good.
“The happiest part of my day is when I’m back in the kitchen and people appreciate the food.”
The head chef said business had been steady so far and he hoped to replicate his achievements across the Irish Sea.
He added: “I lived in Ireland for many years where Anna and I ran a successful restaurant – we won a business award over there and another presented by Princess Anne.
“I have travelled around so much but the one thing I will always carry with me is how the number one chef in my life was my mother.
“I think Barnard Castle is a wonderful town – with the way it is set up I feel this restaurant will certainly welcome a lot of people and tourists looking for something a little different.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.