Thursday 19 January 2017

Great outdoors goes on show in exhibition at The Witham

THE best thing about being an artist, says Ann Whitfield, is when people connect with your paintings without any need for words.
“You know that they get it and it’s a wonderful feeling,” she says.
Ms Whitfield’s work is currently on show at The Witham’s Dispensary gallery space and the adjacent cafe.
River and Mountain Spring, which continues until the end of the month, features a mixture of old and new paintings, all of which have been done in the last year or two.
Some were even completed during the festive season after Ms Whitfield accepted a fairly late invitation to display her work.
“I paint all the time. It is what I do and it’s what I love doing,” says Ms Whitfield, who lives in Barnard Castle.
“I did not know I could do this until I started trying.”
Ms Whitfield has turned her hand to a number of things over the years, including time as a college lecturer in subjects from health and social care to A level English language, a carer and a social worker.
“You name it, I have done it at some stage,” she says.
It was after moving to Dorset, where she lived for 20 years, that she discovered her talent for art.
“I have always loved creative things and I have always loved the hills,” she says.
“While we were in Dorset, I took up painting – I painted flowers because I love colour.
“We moved back in 2002 and all I wanted to do was paint landscapes. This is where my heart is.”
There are plenty of local scenes on view, at the Dispensary, including Bowlees, Baldersdale, Middleton and other areas of upper Teesdale, along with other views from further afield including the Lake District, Kirkby Stephen and Wensleydale.
Admission to River and Mountain Spring is free and the exhibition is on view during open hours at The Witham – 10am to 4pm, Tuesday to Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.