Sunday 8 January 2017

D-Day for David – city slicker or life in the country

Antiques expert and artist David Harper says there is a big decision coming in 2017.
Having relocated his business from Barnard Castle to London and rented a flat close by, he is giving it six months before deciding whether that is where his future lies.
Mr Harper, a familiar face on BBC shows such as Bargain Hunt, Antiques Road Trip and Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is, has the second floor galleries at Alfies, in Church Street, Marylebone.
From this base he sells antiques – mainly mid-20th century Italian designer furnishings – and has the wall space to hang his distinctive pictures.
He says: “2016 has been a year of change for me, having relocated my business to London. It’s been a good year and an interesting year.”
Mr Harper says he had been “thinking about London” for quite some time before deciding to head south.
“The TV is in London, a lot of my clients are in London and the south, I sell my art mainly to people in London and I sell my art through a gallery in London.”
However, it was 20-year-old daughter Hetty’s decision to relocate, getting a job at a gallery in Mayfair, that persuaded Mr Harper that the time was right for change.
He comes home to Teesdale about twice a month. After Christmas in the dale, he was back to work in the capital this week.
It is something of a mixed blessing.
“I have not really taken to the London lifestyle. I’m giving it six months to see how I feel about it, then I will make a decision,” he says.
“I enjoy London, but I miss the lifestyle that we have here.
“Living in London is very different to visiting. Visiting is wonderful; living there is very full on.”
Until quite recently, Mr Harper was very much focused on antiques, with his art something of a serious sideline.
Now, they are very much equal partners.
“I can always sell, deal and broker antiques,” he says.
“My art is something that needs developing all the time. That’s what I get the thrill out of.”
His art has also been well received.
“It’s been described as very modernist and a number of art dealers and galleries have said it’s very distinctive.”
Despite spending much time in London, it is Teesdale where he prefers to paint.
“I have not been painting much in London, I am mainly selling in London. When I come back home, that’s when I paint. I have been painting non-stop over Christmas. Recently, I have been painting very abstract.”
As well as painting, 2017 holds the prospect of more TV.
As well as taking his place among the roster of experts for the BBC’s antiques shows, there will also be an appearance on a celebrity version of the popular teatime BBC quiz Eggheads, plus a father and daughter edition of Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is with Hetty.
To find out more about Mr Harper’s art, go to www.david harperartist.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.