Saturday 3 June 2017

Top five spot in senior PGA rounds off successful week for Barnard Castle golfer

BARNARD Castle golfer Darren Pearce came agonisingly close to being crowned British senior champion last week.
The Barnard Castle Golf Club pro was in contention for much of the last round of the  Silversea Senior PGA Professional Championship but dropped a shot on the final hole to end up joint fourth.
It was the culmination of a week of success for the 53-year-old who entered a trio of competitions starting with the Foremost Professionals Championship, at Oxfordshire Golf Course, where he carded a 75 in challenging conditions to finish fifth.
This was despite the golfer suffering from wrist and arm problems, the results of wear and tear.
The wind and rain continued into the start of the senior championship, at Foxhill Golf Club.
Mr Pearce said: “The first day we only got 12 holes in because of the weather. I was one under par. That was my best golf.”
Starting from the same position the next next day, Mr Pearce struggled with the greens and left a 35ft putt seven feet short of the flag.
He three putted to drop a shot and did the same on the next hole.
He said: “I was worried about the cut.
“Then I had four birdies on the back nine to get me back to level. I was still one shot off, tied second.
“The last round was a bit of a struggle but I was tied first for quite a while. Four of us were all on even par at the 17th.”
Unfortunately, the 18th proved to be Mr Pearce’s undoing and a chip onto the green, while a good shot, kicked on and went 15ft past the flag.
He failed to read the green correctly and the return putt went past the right lip.
He missed the play off by one shot.
Mr Pearce, whose previous best at the competition was 11th two years ago, said: “I didn’t win it but I wasn’t far off.
“I must admit I didn’t have my A game, it was a grind. But that is the pleasing thing, I basically ground it out.
“I was pleased and disappointed at the same time. To get to that position and not finish it off.”
The week concluded with a superb three under 67 at the NE/NW PGA ProAm, which earned the pro third place, just one shot off the leaders.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.