Friday 31 March 2017

The touching letter from a three year old after someone stole the flower she planted near a field – and the reply from the farmer

A LETTER a three-year-old left near a field and the reply from a farmer has touched people’s hearts in Teesdale and left them hoping for a happy ending.
The little girl called Annabelle made the note following the disappearance of a flower she had planted near a footpath on the back lane at Headlam.
She wrote: “To whom it may concern. Please could the person who has taken my plant bring it back! My granddad and I have planted it and have been watching it grow for nearly two years. We even planted it next to a public footpath so everyone could enjoy it and watch the bees and the butterfly feed from it. Thank you.”
Above it, the following reply was left by Richard Hodgson. He said: “Dear Annabelle and your granddad. I am the farmer who looks after the field where the path goes. I have admired that lovely plant over the last two years and especially when it flowered last spring. I cannot believe anyone in their right minds would remove it. I hope your note pricks their conscience and they do return it back to where it is at home. If this doesn’t happen, I do remember what type of plant it was and will replace it myself. Richard.”
Mr Hodgson told the Mercury he didn’t know who the little girl was despite asking around.
He said: “I spotted the note three days ago when I looked over the fence. I thought it was a strange thing to do – to pinch a flower.
“The little girl will probably feel let down, so it would be nice to track her down.”
Mr Hodgson said he and his wife believe the flower was a ceanothus.
“We have a couple in our garden and they have these lovely blue flowers. It looked lovely last year – it was just getting going.”
The notes were spotted by Gainford resident Michael King who posed these pictures on social media.

Do you know who Annabelle and her granddad are? Call the Teesdale Mercury on 01833 637140 or email editor@teesdalemercury.co.uk or contact us via our Facebook page.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.