Saturday 18 March 2017

Harvey's dream comes true as he turns out for Quakers

A TEENAGE footballer has made his mark on Darlington FC’s promotion push.
Staindrop’s Harvey Saunders netted his first goal for the Quakers away at Worcester City.
The 19-year-old forward has fought his way into the first team squad this season after bouncing back from a broken collar bone.
His 94th minute equaliser ensured Darlington took home a vital point on the quest to reach the National League North play-offs.
“They'd just scored in the 91st minute. Gary Brown put in an incredible cross I was at the front post and headed it to the back,” said Mr Saunders.
“That feeling you get is incredible.”
The ex-Staindrop Academy pupil was signed by Darlington in the 2015/16 season during a brief spell at Durham City. He has plied his trade at a number of Northern League outfits in the past couple of seasons and Mr Saunders said the stern physical test the leagues offered had served him well.
“I was spotted by Darlington RA and I cannot fault those guys at all – they were great,” he said.
“It really toughened me up – you get a lot of challenges you wouldn't get in the under 18s.”
Loan spells at Dunston and Ryhope have helped him recuperate from two injuries this season.
But he revealed how his time at Monkseaton High School’s prestigious academy had offered him a grounding and helped develop his football brain.
Mr Saunders added: “I started training five days a week. It was a canny trek but I thought it was brilliant – the best decision I ever made.
“The staff there, Lee Picton and Graham Fenton, really opened my eyes to football as a striker.”
Opportunities proved few and far between when Bishop Auckland came knocking, prompting the move to Durham City.
It was his performances in pre-season friendlies against Darlington that caught the eye of manager Martin Gray.
However, the striker could have followed a very different path.
His formative years almost led to him drifting out the game completely when his under 14s junior team at Barnard Castle FC folded.
A job at Spice Island restaurant presented an unlikely opportunity to pick up his boots again.
“There were a few lads who said I should join the under 18s and I thought I wouldn’t be good enough,” added Mr Saunders.
“It was the Spice Island lads who got me back into it – they played in the under 18s and some of the younger lads got a team together.
“I played in the Darlington 21st Allstars tournament and I was spotted by Darlington RA.”
Mr Saunders said his rise to Conference North Darlington had been a step up and had helped him improve.
He added: “I feel I have come on so much after being at Darlington. Training with the guys makes you think fast and move quickly and I want to do that.
“It opens your eyes to what you need to do.”
With the business-end of the season approaching and play-offs beckoning, Mr Saunders said he wasn't looking too far ahead.
“I just want to dig in and get in the first team,” he added.
“It was a dream to play for Darlington and now I am here I want to stop in the side.
“I want to make a name for myself at my club – I want to be in that starting 11 scoring some more goals.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.