Monday 27 February 2017

It's puppy love as Gunner says thanks to David

A VERY important pup met his donor, ex-England football player David Thomas, to say thank you for setting it on a journey to becoming a guide dog.
Little Gunner is 11 months old and has already learned many of the basic obedience commands that will be used when he goes out into the world as part of a Guide Dog partnership.
Although this is Gunner’s first meeting with Mr Thomas, who lives in Lartington, the former footballer heard about his progress after he raised £5,000 to choose his name. Mr Thomas previously raised money to name another puppy, Willow.
He said: “I’m raising money for Guide Dogs, a charity very close to my heart. I have the eye condition, glaucoma, which was first diagnosed over 15 years ago. At first my failing sight did not cause me too many problems and I was able to continue my job as a physical education teacher but my life changed in 2008 when I was registered blind/partially sighted.
Before teaching, Mr Thomas was a professional football player. He represented his country at every level and finally achieved full England honours.
“Last year I decided to apply for a guide dog and was recently match with my own guide dog, Hannah. The support that Guide Dogs have given me during the application process has been life changing.”
Mr Thomas added: “It was really exciting to meet Gunner. It was also great to meet his puppy walker, Geoff, and to find out all about Gunner’s training and what his personality is like. These little things bring us closer to the whole process and it’s fascinating.”
Sue Robinson, community fundraiser from Guide Dogs, said: “Puppy visits are really special. People then get to see that all the time and effort they put into fundraising has gone into the training of this dog.”
It costs more than £50,000 to support a Guide Dog from its birth to its retirement aged about 10. Guide Dogs promises to supply every guide dog owner with a dog for as long as they need one.
If you would like to find out how you could name a puppy call Sue Robinson on 07468 711982.
Or to donate, visit https://www.justgiving.com/
fundraising/DavidThomas7

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.