Friday 29 December 2017

Natalie calls time after seven years at Forest school

A TEACHER has called time on the “best seven years of her life” at Teesdale’s most remote school.

Farmer Natalie Dalton has seen dozens of children from far flung homes pass through Forest-of-Teesdale primary school since 2010.

But the 33-year-old has called time on her spell as deputy headteacher to spend more hours on the two family farms and move on in her career.

Mrs Dalton said: “I have three young children and I just feel the time is right.

“The past seven years at Forest-of-Teesdale have most certainly been the best of my life in terms of my teaching and leadership development.

“I feel I have achieved so much and have been very lucky to have been involved in the development of such a wonderful school.”

Born and bred in the dale, Mrs Dalton now lives in Weardale but grew up on Cronkley Farm and in Middleton-in-Teesdale.

Her late father attended Forest-of-Teesdale’s school as well as her grandparents.

“Forest has always been a big part of me,” added Mrs Dalton.

“I don’t think I can remember any bad times – we all call ourselves the Forest family and being part of that family has to be the best thing in the world.

“I hope to be an honorary member for the rest of my days.”

The first of her seven years at the school saw her overcome a tough winter.

Forest was the only establishment in the county to remain open through the record breaking winter of 2010-11.

“I was nine months pregnant at the time and due on December 27,” said Mrs Dalton.

“We stayed at the family farm and my dad brought me across in a tractor.

“It’s recognising parents have jobs to do on the farm so we can’t just close.”

Mrs Dalton paid tribute to the governors and staff who’d helped her during her tenure.

“They have been a massive support,” she added.

“The school still provides an excellent education – hopefully we will continue to do that in future as there is an amazing team of staff here.”

A replacement has already been lined up for Mrs Dalton.

But headteacher Ian Carroll said she would leave big shoes to fill.

He added: “I don’t know what I’m going to do without her to be honest.

“She is the lynchpin of the school and she has been invaluable support to me over a long period of time.

“She is probably the most outstanding colleague I have ever worked with and I cannot speak more highly of her.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.