Saturday 15 July 2017

Daily run helps Middleton-in-Teesdale pupils in the classroom

STAFF and pupils in the upper dale are reaping the benefits of a daily run which is now part of the school timetable.

Middleton-in-Teesdale Primary School is taking part in the daily-mile campaign ­– a nationwide initiative which aims to improve the wellbeing of children.

Every day pupils and staff join together at lunchtime to run a mile around the school field.

Assistant headteacher Vicky Oliver said: “It is a national initiative and the whole school is taking part including the staff. It is 15 minutes of intense activity everyday. Some of the children are reaping the benefits and they are getting fitter.

“Three laps round the school field is a mile and some of them are doing more than that. Some children are walking but they are trying to do as much as they can in the 15 minutes.”

Even wet weather

doesn’t deter the youngsters from doing their daily exercise. If the weather doesn’t allow them to be outside, they do laps of the school hall or take part in circuit training.

Isabelle Brown, 10, said: “I enjoy it and it helps me with my sports outside of school. I have improved with my swimming and it has helped me get faster.” Henry Johnston, 11, added: “I think it is good for our health and I enjoy it. I am getting fitter because I can do two more laps than what I did at the start.”

The school has been organising the non-competitive daily mile since Easter and staff have started to notice the benefits. Headteacher Chris Chilvers said: “The children have really taken to it and parents think it is a great initiative. More importantly, some of the children who were less keen, some of their attitudes have changed.

“When the children get back in the classroom they are so much more alert.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.