Friday 15 September 2017

Phoebe follows her dream of professional stage career

A FAMILIAR face from stage productions in Teesdale is off to follow her dream to become a professional actor.

Phoebe Shaw has begun a masters degree in professional acting at the Academy of Live and Recorded Arts (ALRA) in Wandsworth, London.

The 24-year-old has been a regular member of the cast in Castle Players productions for the past decade, having started out as a member of the group’s junior section, the Turrets. Ms Shaw graduated from Liverpool Hope University in 2014 after completing her degree in drama and theatre Studies, returning home to Barnard Castle.

“I have always wanted to go into acting professionally,” she said.

“After university, it was a case of earning some money as I knew the masters would be pricey.

“It was a case of waiting until the time was right to go ahead. Last summer I did a three-week acting masterclass at Mountview Theatre School, in London, to see whether drama school would be for me.

“Afterwards, I knew it was definitely the way forward.”

Ms Shaw subsequently applied to ALRA and was invited for a try-out.

Her audition pieces were a Shakespeare speech – Helena from A Midsummer Night's Dream – and a contemporary piece, Annie’s speech in Muswell Hill, by Torben Betts.

This was followed by a group workshop and an interview.

“I was happy with how I had done them,” added Ms Shaw, who will now spend an intensive 15 months on the full time course, which culminates with performances and showcases in front of casting and theatrical agents.

“I don’t sing and dance – I am not musical theatre. I will have to do a bit of that but I would not want to put people through my singing,” she joked.

“The goal would be the Royal Shakespeare Company or the National Theatre – that would be the dream, but just anything I could get employment in would be good.

“I go and see a lot of theatre at the Witham – all the National Theatre Live and RSC Live broadcasts – and I will see the contemporary pieces. I keep and open mind on anything and everything.”

Her fellow Teesdale thespians have wished her well.

Jill Cole, who directed this summer’s Castle Players outdoor production of Twelfth Night, said: “Phoebe has been committed to acting from an early age.

“She was an enthusiastic member of The Turrets Youth Theatre for many years and after graduating she returned to Barnard Castle to join the Castle Players, and has taken on a number of lead roles.

“She really deserves this opportunity and we all wish her the very best of luck.”

Ms Shaw began her course this week, but she is planning to return home for a fundraising event in the Parish Hall, Newgate, in December to help cover the costs of her masters.

Full details of the event will be published nearer the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.