Friday 22 September 2017

Panto time at new-look Darlington Hippodrome... oh yes it is!

BOYBAND star turned Eastenders actor Lee Ryan joined vocalist and West End leading lady Zoe Birkett, pantomime dame extraordinaire Eric Potts and funny man Liam Mellor to launch Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, which opens on Saturday, December 9, at the new-look and rebranded Darlington Hippodrome.

As part of award-winning boyband Blue in 2001, Lee Ryan sold more than 14 million records worldwide and is currently starring as Woody in Eastenders.

He said: “This will be my second panto and I am looking forward to it.

“It’s always a giggle, it’s hard work but it will be fun and I’ll enjoy it.”

Pop Idol finalist Zoe Birkett will star alongside him as the Wicked Queen.

Eric Potts is best-known for his role as Coronation Street’s eccentric baker Diggory Compton. No stranger to pantomime, he has appeared in and written numerous shows during the last two decades

“I love the tradition, I love the history, the fact that it’s really the show that gets kids into a big theatre for the first time and hopefully makes it an experience they want to repeat,” he said.

He stars as Mrs Crumble, the dame.

“I played the old man character to begin with for about two years. Since then it’s been the dame, which I really enjoy.

“It’s a real privilege to be part of that history, it’s a great part to play, it’s great fun. To be in the first panto after this wonderful refurbishment is a real joy and pleasure.

“We have a great script with lots of comedy.”

Mr Potts is also directing this season’s show.

Completing the line-up, Liam Mellor will star as Snow White’s best friend Muddles.

As an actor and comedian, he has starred in numerous stage productions including Chekhov and Shakespeare as well as numerous pantomimes across the UK.

“This is my 13th year in panto,” he said.

“Panto was my first job and I used to watch pantos when I was a kid. I used to go the Sheffield Lyceum every year with my grandad. I loved them so much I knew that was what I wanted to do.

“I always play the idiot – I work to my strengths,” he joked.

“I read the script a couple of weeks ago and it is completely and utterly different to when I last did Snow White.”

Following its multi-million pound restoration, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs marks Darlington Hippodrome’s first full length production at the venue with its improved front of house spaces, backstage facilities and scope for bigger productions.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs will feature spectacular flying effects and a magical mirror never seen before.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs runs from Saturday, December 9, to Sunday, January 14

To book contact the box offfice on or visit www.darling tonhippodrome.co.uk

Andrew Harrison

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.