Thursday 14 September 2017

Charity fundraisers put the Great into North Run

TWO very different Teesdale people have completed their very first Great North Run in aid of charities close to their heart.

Barnard Castle baker Dave Baker completed his “first and last” half marathon to raise cash for cancer charities in memory of his mum, while 73-year-old Wendy Bellaris, of Cockfield, collected money for an animal sanctuary where she volunteers.

Mr Baker, who runs the Moody Baker, in Horsemarket, completed the race in about two hours and 39 minutes. He said: “I was aiming to do it in under three hours so for a big lad like me that was very good. This is my first and last Great North Run – it is a younger man’s game. There is no piece of me below the waist that isn’t in pain.”

His effort raised in excess of £1,700 which is to be split between Macmillan Cancer Support and Yes To Life.

He added: “Macmillan Cancer Support helped my mum, Meryl, founder of the Moody Baker, through her final few months after her battle with pancreatic cancer in 2013.

“Yes To Life are an amazing small charity offering help, support and financial assistance to those with cancer to pursue treatments and approaches to their conditions which are currently unavailable on the NHS.

“Among these are Beth, one of my oldest friends, whose bravery while battling stage four breast cancer has inspired me to run my socks off.

“I want to say a massive thank you to all our customers – about £700 of the money is through customers at the bakery”

He described the Great North Run as an incredible experience, a view shared by Ms Bellaris. She said: “We had a great time. What an experience. There were 60,000 people. When we went to the start it was like the whole of Newcastle was walking slowly in one direction. It was like a sci-fi movie. It was fantastic.”

While she came short of reaching her target time and being narrowly beaten by her son, she was thrilled to raise more than £500 for the Ark On The Edge animal shelter at Woodland. The septuagenarian said: “We were going to stay together, that was the plan, but after two miles he took off. I thought that was it, but after eight miles I saw him and I passed him. Unknown to me, he passed me somewhere along the way and he beat me by about three minutes.

“I finished in three hours and two minutes. I was just trying to get under three hours but I didn’t make it. I have no speed but lots of stamina.”

While Mr Baker took Monday off to recover from the run, Ms Bellaris chose to celebrate by going out for a drink with friends on Monday night, visiting both of the village's pubs as well as the Workingman’s Club.

People can still donate to Mr Baker’s appeal by visiting virginmoneygiving.com/

davesnorthrun.

Additional donations to Ms Bellaris’ cause can be made at the animal shelter.

Anyone who would like to help can contact the shelter on 01833 630505. Meanwhile, Cockfield resident Stacey Hopper exceeded her fundraising goal of £500 when she completed the Great North Run. She was raising cash for the son of a family friend who suffers from cerebral palsy and epilepsy.

The £630 Ms Hopper has collected so far will help buy disability equipment for five-year-old Teddy Berriman of Burnthouses.

To donate to her fund visit just giving.com/crowdfunding/stacey-hopper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.