Saturday 17 December 2016

Stables owner tells of 'blaze nightmare' and horse rescue

THE owner of a dale livery yard has been overwhelmed by all of the donations she has received after a fire destroyed her stables and business premises during the night.
Kirstie Hook has been running White House Tack and Feed from White House Farm, in Toft Hill, for the past three years.
She was watching television with her partner, Mark Wake, when they heard a loud bang just before midnight on Friday, December 9.
Ms Hook said: “We heard the noise and it sounded like it was in the bedroom so I thought it was the cat upstairs. Not even a minute later we heard another two bangs and I said to Mark ‘We need to go and see what that is’.”
Having made her way to the door of the farmhouse, Ms Hook noticed an orange glow on the outside wall.
She said: “I went out not expecting to see a fire and I saw the stables ablaze. I screamed for Mark to ring the fire brigade and I just ran barefoot to the stables. I had to get the horses out but I just thought there is no way they are alive in there. The fire was just so advanced.”
Two fire engines attended from Bishop Auckland as well as one from Crook and a fourth appliance from Darlington.
Relief crews were at the scene throughout the night and the last fire engine left the scene at about 1.20pm on Saturday, December 10.
At the time of the fire, ten horses were in the yard. Ms Hook managed to lead seven of them to safety from the smoke-filled stables.
Two escaped by themselves  unhurt, but one died in the flames.
Ms Hook suffered a broken toe during the incident and was treated by paramedics for smoke inhalation too.
She said: “The heat was phenomenal. The horses have no eyelashes and no whiskers. We think it is the rugs which have saved them. I am gobsmacked that they have not got severe injuries.”
Ms Hook’s 76-year-old mum, Margaret Hutchinson, was asleep in the annex on the side of the house but thankfully the alarm was raised and Mrs Hutchinson was rescued.
As well as one block of stables, Ms Hook’s shop and feed room were also left unrecognisable by the fire. Everything from horse feed to rugs and hay nets was destroyed. Two industrial units were also gutted including 20 tonnes of hay. After people heard the news, a large number of donations have been given by well-wishers including rugs, hay nets, buckets, grooming kits and carrots.
Ms Hook said: “Horses are my life. They always have been. I am animal daft. I had my own horses in there but it is my business. My liveries are friends of mine too.
“I could not have lived with myself if I had just left the horses to die.”
Sadly, she was unable to save the ducks and hens belonging to her daughter, Megan. However, she managed to save Comet, her pet rabbit.
Ms Hook said: “We are still in shock but people have been brilliant. We have had people from as far away as Sunderland bringing things to us. I am totally overwhelmed by the generosity of people. I would just like to thank everyone. The response has been unbelievable.
“It is my livelihood and it is going to take a while to get over it. It is a nightmare. We just need to get cleared up now. It is a stark reminder every time you look at it. Hopefully by the end of the week normality can resume and we  will have to try and rebuild it up.”
A police spokesman said officers believe that the fire was not suspicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.