Tuesday 10 October 2017

Mum's plight inspires £1,000 fundraising effort

A TEESDALE woman, whose mother is battling cancer, has raised more than £1,000 for charity after sacrificing her precious locks.

Laura Willis, 31, who lives in Staindrop with husband Graham, organised a charity night in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support and the Mark Hammond Fund.

Mrs Willis’ mother, Carol Gordon, 54, who also lives in Staindrop, has metastatic medullary thyroid cancer – a rare and incurable form of the disease.

Ms Gordon has undergone previous operations and has received support from the charity.

A good friend of Mr and Mrs Willis had a close connection with eight-year old Mark Hammond, from Darlington, who lost his brave battle with cancer back in August.

Mrs Willis, who works at Number 15 café in Barnard Castle said: “I decided to do it for Macmillan because my mum was diagnosed with cancer a few years ago.

“She had help from the Macmillan nurses. They helped us as a family and I wanted to give something back to them.

“I have done a coffee morning in the past and held a party but I wanted to do something a bit different this time. I like to be a bit crazy so I thought about cutting my hair.”

An audience of more than 100 people watched on as Mrs Willis had her mid-length locks chopped off during the fundraising event, which was held at Barnard Castle Cricket Club.

The evening included a raffle and live band performances from Cleatlam-based Rock Zone.

A grand total of £1,048.16 was raised including donations form those unable to make it on the night. The money is being split between the two causes.

Mrs Willis is also donating about seven inches of her hair to the Little Princess Trust, a charity which provides free wigs for children who have lost their own hair due to cancer treatment.

Mrs Willis said: “I was always colouring my hair so I do miss it but I am happy about what I have done.

“I don’t think I’m brave for getting it cut off. My mum is a brave woman. I think anyone who is fighting cancer is brave. Mum is proud of what I have done.

“I am shocked at how much we raised altogether. I set a target of £200 so to get over £1,000 is amazing.”

She added: “There was a really good turn out on the night.

“We can’t thank everyone enough for what they have done. It has been really overwhelming and emotional.”

Mr Willis added: “It was nice to see everyone come out to have a good time and support a good cause.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.