Sunday 29 October 2017

It's a dog's life for Katy and her kids' books

ONE woman’s lifelong love of Labradors has led her to pen a series of children’s books which offer an insight into life from a dog’s eye view.

Katy Glass, 70, originally from Barnard Castle, was inspired by her late Labrador Meg to write five books based on14 years they shared.

Mrs Glass recalls Meg being a “happy-go-lucky bouncy tail-wagging loyal friend” and says that through her eyes and actions everyone knew what she was thinking and trying to say but, of course, she couldn’t talk. Mrs Glass believes the books now give Meg the voice she never had.

They tell the story of Meg’s quest to find a “forever home” when she was a puppy up until she was an “old lady” in Australia, where Mrs Glass and her husband Neville emigrated to1989. Mrs Glass held a number of jobs in the dale over the years including teaching at Eggleston Hall International Finishing College, secretary to the chief engineer at Glaxo and at Zetland Estates. After returning to the UK after 15 years down under, Mrs Glass, whose pen name is Kathryn Queen, is now retired and living in the Lake District with her husband and their latest Labrador, Ben.

She said: “Reliving Meg’s life through the books has been a very fulfilling and quite emotional journey for me at times. As I immerse myself in writing I find I become Meg and totally lose myself. This is the only way I can write with such feeling from the heart.”

The last book in the series, Meg Down Under In Australia, was published last week. The aim of the stories is to help children learn to understand a dog’s behaviour and feelings as they grow up alongside each other. The colourful hand-painted illustrations in the book are also Mrs Glass’ own work. She said: “I wrote the books originally with five to seven-year-old children in mind but I have found that grandparents and parents alike have been buying them to read to smaller children who are loving the stories and enjoying looking at the illustrations.

“Children aged nine to 11 are also buying the books and enjoying reading them, particularly if they like dogs and especially Labradors. I think we are all children at heart.”

Since the first book was published two years ago, Meg has become an international celebrity. Children in the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Kenya, Europe, Canada and the US are enjoying the stories. Mrs Glass has been delighted with the feedback she has received from youngsters.

She added: “I write for them and they are truly my best critics and fans of Meg. This has made it all so very worthwhile for me.

“From the very beginning of writing the Meg series over three years ago, I have been encouraged by my very supportive husband Neville and there are family, friends and people who I don’t even know who have bought my books.

“Without everyone’s support I could not have achieved such success. It is truly a dream come true for me.”

The books are priced at £8.99 each. They can be purchased from Cross Lanes Organic Farm, on the A66 just outside of Barnard Castle, or online at www.megland

books.co.uk.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.