Sunday 13 November 2016

Vital dementia support for forces veteran Sophia

A FORCES veteran has thanked a band of charities for providing her with a new laptop.
Sophia Krywyszyn, from High
Lands, lives with dementia and cares for her 90-year-old mother who also has the disease.
After site visits and fearing she was at risk of becoming isolated, the Alzheimer’s Society teamed up with the SSAFA Armed Forces charity to donate a new HP Laptop to Ms Krywyszyn.
The 61-year-old said it would allow her to buy food online and help her plan for the future.
“It will help a lot – especially in the winter,” she said. “I can use the internet and Skype to talk to people – if push comes to shove in winter I can order my food online.”
Ms Krywyszyn was part of the armed forces for 22 years and spent her time driving in some of the most hostile environments in the world.
“I drove trucks for six years – when I drove in the Himalayas it changed my life,” she said. “I realised I could do more.”
She now faces a fresh challenge after being diagnosed with both Alzheimer’s and a form of dementia earlier this year.
“My mum has dementia and I’ve looked after her for 14 years so I know what the processes are,” she said. “I am lucky and the medication is helping out.
“The way I look at it is do as much as you can while you can.”
Ms Krywyszyn’s parents came to the UK after the Second World War before their daughter was born in Scunthorpe.
“My father was Ukrainian – and in the war he was amazing.
“He was on the railways and we bombed it – he got out and joined the resistance,” she said. “He moved himself through Europe and ended up in England.”
Money from Ms Krywysyzn’s former corps, the WRAC (Women’s Royal Army Corps), helped fund the laptop and she thanked the group for its support.
Nicky Tulloch, from the Alzheimer’s Society, said communication with the outside world, particularly in a rural area, was vital for people living with dementia.
“It’s lovely to be able to have an outcome that is really positive,” she said.
“We have some good partnerships with other organisations willing to help people living with dementia.”
Mike Donne, SSAFA branch secretary for County Durham, added: “Our main role with veterans is to go and assess their needs and, wherever possible, we will give some assistance.
“One of our volunteers has Alzheimer’s and we have seen the benefit he has had from using his own computer – it’s a good way of keeping on top of things.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.