Tuesday 26 December 2017

Karen steps down after ten years at the helm of dale girlguiding group

THE driving force behind girlguiding in the dale is preparing to take a back seat after ten years as a commissioner. 

Karen Thompson has served as division commissioner for the Barnard Castle division of the Guide Association for the past five years.

During this time she has overseen packs of Rainbows, Brownies and Guides in Middleton-in-Teesdale, Gainford, Barnard Castle, Staindrop and Cockfield. She was also the Raby district commissioner for the previous five years – a role which no longer exists due to the amalgamation of the units at Easter.

Mrs Thompson, 43, said: “My role is up at the end of December but I am not leaving Guides. I am just going back to my own little Guide unit at Staindrop which is great. I am just ending this role so someone else can take the reins. We are in a good place and numbers are growing. I can drive it from beneath a bit now.”

Mrs Thompson’s involvement with the Staindrop unit began when she joined the Brownies at the age of seven.

Having also been a Guide and a Ranger, when she was 16 she completed her young leader qualification.

At 18, she became an adult leader for Staindrop Rangers before moving back into guides as a unit leader.

Mrs Thompson became assistant leader of Staindrop guides leading alongside her sister, Lynn Wheldon, who became the unit leader in 2006. The duo have since been leading the pack in the village.

Mrs Thompson has racked up 27 years of service while Ms Wheldon has been with the group for 30 years. Their mother Margaret Wheldon also competed 30 years service with the village Guides having been assistant leader for about 20 years.

Mrs Thompson said: “I have been going out on a Tuesday night to the same place since I was seven. It is a different hut now but that is where we had Brownies. Lynn and I have both been involved since we were seven and now we are running it together.”

Following in their footsteps are Mrs Thompson’s two children. Her eldest daughter Hannah, 11, is a member of the Guides and Emily, 5, is in the Rainbows.

She said: “It felt right to finish now. A lot has happened over the years. In 2010, it was 100 years of Guiding. I organised a big celebration at The Bowes Museum. There were 250 people there.

“It was a massive event and it was phenomenal to be part of that. In 2014, the Brownies also had their centenary. I organised a big event at The Hub called Hubabaloo. It was a great day and has become an annual event which will continue. It is all about giving the girls opportunities that they would not necessarily get.”

Deborah Brown, from Barnard Castle, will be taking over as division commissioner in the new year.

Mrs Thompson said: “Debbie has been shadowing me for the last six months. I know she will be great at it.”

Although Mrs Thompson is stepping down, she doubts she will ever move from the Guides completely.

She added: “I get quite emotional about it. It is a big thing for me. You don’t realise what you are giving to people until you take a step back. I can’t imagine not being involved with the Guides. It is such a big part of my life.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.