Tuesday 8 August 2017

Jac's leap of faith raises £1,000 for lung charity

A GAINFORD woman has achieved her teenage dream by making her first skydive and raising almost £1,000 for a lung charity in the process.

Jac Ferguson chose to support the British Lung Foundation by completing the terrifying challenge because her nana suffers from chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.

Her nana, Gladys Greenland, contracted the disease after being exposed to asbestos as a child and now has to use an inhaler and is on medication.

Ms Ferguson said: “There is no cure, sadly she will only get worse and will need oxygen soon. I have decide that all that she has done for me growing up I wanted to do something for her.”

Along with the skydive, Ms Ferguson also put on a craft and cake sale is conjunction with her church, St Mary’s, and Gainford vicar Eileen Harrop.

The self-confessed risk-taker previously abseiled down the church tower.

She completed her latest stunt on Sunday, July 16, and has so far raised about £900 for the charity. She had originally hoped to complete the skydive on June 30 to coincide with her 28th birthday.

Ms Ferguson said: “Sadly the original jump date was called off due to the typical English weather so I had to re-arrange it.

“It was the best experience of my life, when you jump out the plane it really does take your breath away not only that the views in itself were breath-taking. I can’t describe just how beautiful and breath-taking the views were.”

Sadly her grandparents could not make it on the day, but her parents and sister were there to cheer her on. However, her nana was the first person to watch a video recording of the stunt and was the first person to call immediately after the jump.

Ms Ferguson said: “My nana is very proud. I can’t thank everyone enough for all the help and support in these last few months, especially my mum for helping me with the baking sale and being my on-ground photographer on the day of my jump, and just supporting me through all of this.” Anyone who would like to contribute to the fundraising campaign can visit

justgiving.com/fundraising/

Jaqueline-Ferguson2.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.