Wednesday 8 November 2017

Joan's cards raise cash for Barnard Castle dementia group

A 79-YEAR-OLD dale woman has raised more than £300 for the dementia group that has been supporting her.

Joan Whiteley, of Barnard Castle, raised the cash for the Games For The Brain group by selling her homemade greetings cards through Teesdale Restaurant.

The restaurant supported the fundraising drive by holding a raffle.

Games For The Brain meets weekly at The Hub, on Shaw Bank, and offers stimulating activities for people who have dementia.

Ms Whiteley has previously supported meningitis and diabetes charities through her greetings card sales.

She said: “Our oldest son died from meningitis and our other son has diabetes. All my cards are individually made. I have been doing it for 30 years, but I am winding down now.

“When I said I wanted to make greeting cards at The Teesdale Restaurant to raise money for the benefit of people attending the Games for the Brain at The Hub, Craig the chef said the restaurant would support me.”

She added: “Fay, one of the staff, suggested a raffle to run in conjunction with the card making.

“Quickly regulars and staff joined in by donating prizes. Morrisons supermarket and the restaurant donated vouchers. I want to thanks them and my husband Brian for all their support, not forgetting everybody who bought cards raffle tickets.”

Ms Whiteley was diagnosed with vascular dementia about three years ago.

She said: “When the doctor said what are you going to do about it, I said enjoy life and laugh a lot. I am on tablets to slow it down, so I have my fingers crossed.”

Ms Whiteley is supported by her 81-year-old husband Brian who takes her to the Games For The Brain meetings.

The couple celebrated their golden wedding anniversary in July this year.

The effort was welcomed by the Alzheimer’s Society which organises the Games for the Brain group.

Nicky Tulloch, dale dementia advisor for the charity, said: “It is amazing, I am very proud of Joan. It is really nice there is a community that feels it can support people living with dementia in such a creative way.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.