Saturday 15 April 2017

Barnard Castle great-grandfather's thanks to care staff for helping him beat cancer twice

A Barnard Castle great-grandfather who has beaten cancer twice has raised £2,000 as a thank you for the care he received.
Alan Jopling, 79, was diagnosed with lung cancer in November 2011. Following an operation the next February, five weeks of radiotherapy and five rounds of chemotherapy, Mr Jopling was given the all clear.
In December 2015, Mr Jopling was reassured that he was cancer-free but just six months later the former stud farm owner was hit with more devastating news.
Doctors told Mr Jopling that he had lymph node cancer.
Thankfully, after further radiotherapy and chemotherapy treatment, he was given the all clear again in December.
Mr Jopling says he wants to show his appreciation for the hospital care he received and the support from the Macmillan nurses.
Mr Jopling said: “I always had it in my mind about what I had gone through and what they had done for me. I wanted to try to repay them by doing something.”
Mr Jopling and his family organised a charity fundraiser in aid of Macmillan Cancer Support and the Mara unit at Bishop Auckland General Hospital, where he received his chemotherapy treatment.
More than 100 people attended the evening of entertainment at Newsham Village Hall on Saturday, February 11. A total of £2,000 was raised through ticket sales and a raffle on the night, which also included a show by Miss Hollywood.
Mr Jopling said: “I knew most of the people there. We even got donations from people who could not come. It was tremendous. Everyone had a good night. I did not expect to raise that much money. I would like to say a big thank you to everyone who showed their support. I feel like I have given something back now.”
Mr Jopling visited the Mara unit at Bishop Auckland General Hospital with family to present them with a cheque.
Chemotherapy sister Yvonne Stuart said: “We are very thankful for this donation.
“There is nothing we are needing at the moment but we do a lot of acupuncture and aromatherapy so we could use it towards that. We can’t fund these things without donations like this.”
Mr Jopling’s son, Peter, said: “The care we have had here has been faultless.”
Mr Jopling’s granddaughter, Rachel Shepherd, said: “This is the family’s way of saying thank you for making it possible for him to be alive to see his great grandchildren.”
Mr Jopling added: “The work the Macmillan nurses do is great.
“Until you have been affected by cancer, you don’t fully appreciate the work that they do.
“You MOT your car, you MOT your tractor so you should MOT yourself because finding it early is the answer.
“I know I am praising the Mara unit but they put me through hell but I am still here so that is the reason I did this,” he added.
“They have kept me alive. I will be forever grateful for the support they gave me. You have to live for today.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.