Wednesday 17 January 2018

Glaxo apprentices among the best in north east

TEESDALE’S biggest employer is encouraging more young people to consider an apprenticeship as an alternative career route as the deadline approaches for their 2018 scheme.

Last year, apprentices at GSK, in Barnard Castle, won awards, achieved academic excellence and went on to gain full-time contracts inwork.

Supply chain apprentice Chris Armstrong joined the programme in 2014 and is now a full-time scheduler at the site on Harmire Road. Back in October, he won the North East Higher Apprentice of the Year, an award which celebrates individuals and employers who continually strive for excellence.

He said: “The award recognised all the hard work that I’ve put into both my role and my further education over the last three years. I was over the moon to receive it.

“I was incredibly nervous when I first started my apprenticeship. I was 18 years old and entering a role that I knew would shape my future career. Since then, I have grown massively, both in confidence and my ability and I’m very pleased with where I am at this stage of my career.”

Design and artwork apprentice Tilly Greer and business and supply chain apprentice Sophie Tweddle have both secured work with the pharmaceutical giant. They were also recognised for the significant achievements they have made through their apprenticeships.

The scheme offers advanced, higher and degree level apprenticeship opportunities. They range from three to four years’ in duration in engineering, manufacturing, laboratory science, pharmaceutical technical, planning and artwork delivery.

Joining an apprenticeship programme gives people the chance to gain qualifications alongside valuable exposure to a working environment. GSK also offers opportunities to work within the wider organisation.

Sophie Hawman is a consumer healthcare artwork apprentice at Barnard Castle. As well as being the current North East Process Industry Cluster (NEPIC) Apprentice of the Year and the site’s careers co-ordinator, she is also the Science Technology Engineering and Maths (STEM) ambassador.

She said: “Being an apprentice at GSK has opened up some unique opportunities for me. I’ve just completed a four-month work placement at GSK House in London and spent last summer working on high profile early talent projects.

“It was great to get wider experience of the GSK network and to kick off 2018 I secured a new full-time role in the Pack Artwork Shared Service team at Barnard Castle.”

GSK’s 2018 apprenticeship scheme starts in September. Applications are open until January 15.

Barnard Castle’s apprentice lead, Helen Smith, said: “We offer a wide range of apprenticeship opportunities to talented and ambitious individuals. The apprenticeships give hands-on experience and an opportunity to play a key role in contributing to the future success of the company.

“If you’re looking for an alternative route to college or university, our apprenticeship programmes give you the opportunity to study recognised qualifications. Many of our apprentices are combining university qualifications with working life whilst earning a wage. GSK also offers lots of development opportunities for our early talent community.”

For more information visit www.gsk.com/apprenticeships.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.