Wednesday 17 January 2018

Channel swim planned in memory of cousin 'Eggz'

A BARNARD Castle man is preparing to swim from England to France in memory of his cousin who died tragically in 2016.

Sean Walsh will brave the English Channel next summer and swim the 21-mile stretch wearing only trunks and a pair of goggles.

The 32-year-old is determined to complete the once-in-a-lifetime challenge and has set a fundraising target of £2,000 for charity.

Mr Walsh’s cousin, Andrew Clement, who was known as Eggz, died in May 2016 aged 27. Mr Walsh is hoping to raise money for The Compassionate Friends, a charity which offers support to bereaved families.

Mr Walsh said: “There are a lot of other people out there from the town who have passed away recently too.

“This charity could help them. My auntie Maureen, Andrew’s mum, did not use them but she chose this charity for this.

“We have a lot of family and friends who are a shoulder to cry on but a lot of people don’t have that.”

Channel swimming pilot Eddie Spelling, along with his boat and crew, will assist Mr Walsh during the swim which will begin at Dover and usually takes around 16 hours. A week-long slot has been booked for the end of July and into the beginning of August 2019. Mr Walsh will complete the swim on one of those days depending on the weather.

A group of Mr Walsh’s friends will also be on-board the boat. He said: “I did an Ironman challenge and a marathon a few years ago and it left me a bit knackered. I can’t run anymore. I wanted

to do something in Andrew’s memory so I thought I would swim.

“I don’t think this is something which Andrew would have done. I think he would think I am nuts but I would like to think he would be proud of me for doing it.

“He was one of the funniest lads you would ever meet. He was a big, lovable character. He was like a little brother to me. Andrew has left a large egg-shaped hole in our family which will never be replaced.”

Mr Walsh is training four days each week. He also has open water swimming events lined up for this year including a three-mile swim in Keswick and an eight-mile dip in Ellerton in June. He aims to tackle one 10-mile length of Windermere in July as well as taking part in a training camp in Dover in September.

He said: “Training is going well. I have had a bit of a lull over Christmas but before that I was doing between seven and 10 miles every week at the sports centre.

“It is usually 21 miles but they say if you don’t get to a certain point in the swim by a certain time you can get dragged out by the tide. Some people have ended up swimming 31 miles. I am confident with the length of the swim. I think I can build up to that easily enough.

“The only two things that might stop me are injuries and not being used to being in cold water. I could do it in a wet suit but it would not be a verified swim. The average person gets stung five times by jellyfish during the swim. I have got the determination and mentality to do it though.”

The cost of the swim is around £4,000. Mr Walsh hopes to fund this himself.

However, a sport themed fancy dress party is being organised for later in the year at Barnard Castle Rugby Club. Money raised will help with costs if needed. Mr Walsh added: “I have committed to raise £2,000 for the charity and I am currently up to £400 on the Just Giving page. I also have £700 on sponsor forms so I have £1,100 already which is amazing.”

Donations can be made online at https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/swimforeggz. Anyone who can offer a raffle prize for the fancy dress party should contact Mr Walsh on 07939 861764.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.