Saturday 20 January 2018

Newbiggin teenager begins fundraising for world jamboree adventure

A DALE teenager is hoping to raise more than £3,000 so she can take her place on a once-in-a-lifetime international girlguiding experience.

Alice Lawson, from Newbiggin, has been selected by Girlguiding North East England to attend the 24th World Scout Jamboree, which will take place in West Virginia in July and August next year.

The theme of the three-week trip will be “Unlock a new world”.

It will bring together Scouts and Guides from around the world to experience new adventures, cultures and friendships.

The 15-year-old is currently a young leader at the 1st Upper Teesdale brownies in Middleton-in-Teesdale.

She first joined the organisation as a rainbow when she was five.

She said: “I found out I’d got a place on the trip back in July. I’m really excited.

“I have always wanted to do some international travelling and help people at the same time. As well as educating ourselves about different cultures, we will be educating other groups too about our culture.”

Alice will be one of a team of nine from Girlguiding North East England. Members of the group will be aged between 14 and 18 and come from a variety of backgrounds.

The Teesdale School pupil needs to raise £3,450 to cover the cost of the jamboree as well as travel expenses, kit, equipment and insurance.

Alice said: “We get to see what a big organisation we are part of. After the jamboree we also get to stay with a community in America so we can bring that experience back with us too.

“We don’t know where that will be yet but it will either be in America or Canada. Then we do a big city experience where we will get to visit somewhere like New York.”

She added: “I think girlguiding gives girls a purpose and helps them to gain confidence. I have gained lots of confidence since I started.

“The jamboree will be such a good thing for my personal development and it will help everyone around me too when I come back and share my experience.

“It is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. It gives me the opportunity to be a Guide on a much bigger scale. I will never get this opportunity again.”

So far Alice has managed to raise £800 after taking part in the Boxing Day dip at Saltburn. She also organised a beetle drive event at Newbiggin village hall last week.

Money raised at the event was split between the village hall association and Alice’s trip. This also forms part of the Action For Change programme which Alice is currently undertaking with Girlguiding North East England. Alice aims to bring the community together using community centres and village halls.

She said: “I think it is very important that our village halls are kept open. Without them we have nowhere to meet. It is really isolated in Newbiggin without regular events. I am trying to get everyone involved in the hall which would otherwise close.

“I rely on people putting things on for me so if I can do something for other people and help them get together as a community it will be so much better. I would like to say a big thank you to everyone for helping me so far.”

To help Alice reach her fundraising target email alice lawson002@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.